9 Conduit Street

Project Information

9 Conduit Street
London W1

First built in the eighteenth century as part of London’s Conduit Mead Estate, Nine Conduit Street is one of the few original buildings to survive. Designed by James Wyatt in 1779, it is a wonderful three-bay stuccoed composition with giant Ionic pilasters and pedimented first-floor windows.  A frieze with characteristic thin garlands and oval paterae, the doorway has recessed dark columns.  Between 1859 and 1934 it housed the Royal Institute of British Architects, sharing at the first floor the Architectural Association for whom three top lit galleries were added behind.

 

Smith Caradoc-Hodgkins Architects restored Wyatt’s interior barrel vaulted entrance, ground floor plasterwork and first floor ceilings. Later the glazed barrel vault, centre gallery and three galleries were also restored by us.

 

Later this was converted into Sketch restaurant by others.