150-153 Fenchurch Street

Project Information

150-153 Fenchurch Street
London EC3

150-153 Fenchurch Street is at the heart of the City of London on the north side of Fenchurch Street. It is opposite the north end of Rood Lane, which runs south to Eastcheap. The site is within the Leadenhall Market Conservation Area and is not Listed.

 

The site comprises three distinct façades which are the only surviving evidence on Fenchurch Street of the original 15th century historic grain.  No. 153 is of Dutch red brick by Osborne & Russell (1880).  Nos. 150-152 are a strange hybrid by Sheppard Robson & Partners (1976), two narrow fronts; the left with a bronzed glass screen in front of a rendered façade based on the late Georgian house previously on the site.  The right hand building (1865) is a refined round arched Italian Gothic office in stone, with two and three arch windows.

 

The existing buildings are partly interlinked and function very poorly and are highly inefficient in plan.  Internal floor levels vary, preventing efficient linking of floors behind the elevations.

 

The project involves the demolition and part retention of the existing buildings and the construction of new purpose built offices with active frontage on the ground floor, following the pattern of street fronts and upper floor offices on Fenchurch Street.  The existing three buildings will be retained or rebuilt and renovated, as befits their importance within the local Conservation Area.  The new upper storeys will be created in a deep blue faience, reflecting the sky and water of the Thames.